Friday, April 13, 2012

Getting Russia write

One of the things we have tried really hard to do is to make the world our book is set in as realistic as possible. This is easy for places we have been to and have lived in, like Utah, Belle Plaine, Brazil, etc. but what about a place none of us had been to, like Russia? We decided early on that we needed a young Russian from the Mafia. Yeah... It was way outside of our wheelhouse. So, I got started working on it, doing research online about the area. I fell in love with the idea of Tsarskoe Selo, the Versailles of the Russian Royal family, and decided to set the story there and in the nearby St. Petersburg. I had a friend at the University of Iowa, Justus Harzok, who was studying there, and he gave me all sorts of good info. One thinghe shared with me is that when a Russian mafia member kills someone, they leave a red rose on the body so people know what happened. So, of course, that makes it into the book! The problem was, as we got started, i got carried away. I wrote probably close to ten pages setting the stage for our characters in Russia. I was explaining ballastrudes and carpets and on and on and on. I included quotes from Petr the Great, Russian historical sources, and an extended biography on Russian literary giants. So, this got pared down over the years to the present state. And then, as we were editing the book, I reaalized that I had made some mistakes in my original research, including attributing the palace to the wrong Catherine, so those were fixed. So, hopefully as some one reads through the descriptions of Russia in the book, they will feel like it is really real, and it will help center the book in the modern world. It was easier by far to write about a place you are familiar with, but with a good deal of research amd a few friends, you can still make it work!
Jed...

No comments:

Post a Comment